Monday, November 23, 2009

Self-promotion sucks so please Share, Tweet, Retweet, Post, Email, Discuss, Decry, Subscribe, Follow, Digg, Mixx and StumbleUpon this here blog...

The idea of self-promotion (for myself) really makes me want to throw up in my mouth. With the exception of a couple of stints as a news reporter, I’ve spent my career in PR, promoting other people. So when I started blogging, and wanted to get more readers, I asked myself, why? What’s the point? I have no problem telling everyone who cares to read Wife.Mom.Cynic. just about all of my business, but to tell someone to read Wife. Mom. Cynic. is too much.

I don’t know. It just seems desperate. Or maybe it’s my fear of judgment? Which doesn’t make much sense because obviously, I could be judged for a lot worse than trying to get a little side gig off the ground, right?

But then I had to take a step back and be honest about why I really do this, which means I have to make a confession. In my second post, “Normal”, I lied. I said my only goal for Wife. Mom. Cynic. is for it to be a light-hearted, daily chuckle that readers can relate to. But the truth is, I’ve got A MILLION underlying reasons for writing this blog, and here are a handful of them:

@ Toyota: If you read my post about how I was too cool to drive your Highlander, maybe you’d give me one for free to get publicity, which, in that case, I would proudly drive a minivan. C'mon, it'd be a win-win, guys.

@Oprah: Since you’re stepping down from your post, you might be looking for an equally screwed up black woman who also talks over people, answers her own questions and thinks she’s the most enlightened soul in the universe to take your place.

@Tiff: Maybe you’ll be able to see that being divorced at the age of 23 is not the end of the world. It seems like it now, but you’ll look back in 10 years and laugh. (And your next husband will be 10 times hotter than your first one…Whut! Whut!)

@Zach: I like to write about you because you make me feel like I have super powers. Who knew my kisses could make actual pain go away?

@Tina Fey: If you see this and want me to be a writer for 30 Rock, I’ll leave my husband and child, move to Manhattan and work for you.

@My parents: This is the passive-aggressive, thirty-something way to continue my non-passive, very aggressive teenage rebelliousness. It just doesn’t stop, does it?

@my college English prof: No one in the blogoshphere lambastes me for my overuse of commas, "so", and "just."

@Lydia: See? Getting knocked up and getting hitched under less than ideal circumstances kinda sucks, but then it kinda doesn’t. Make lemonade, girl.

@my fellow PR people: If you want me to talk about your clients’ products or services, I’m happy to…in exchange for free samples, tickets, food, etc. And guess what? I’ll even take cash. I’m a blogger; I have no rules or ethics I have to follow. (Nor do I have advertisers)

@Advertisers: Call me. I got space.

@JulieLyons, who encouraged me along time ago to write with guts and honesty so this is my tiny, little effort. (Julie is the former Dallas Times-Herald crime reporter and Dallas Observer editor who has written openly about dealing with same-sex attraction and then being “delivered” from it by God. Deep stuff. Here’s a link to her book.)

@Sweetness, Without you, I would have zero fodder for this thing. No wife, no mom, nuthin'...I’d just be a cynic. And that wouldn’t be good.


Until next time…




1 comment:

  1. At least we're being honest! Good seeing you yesterday!

    ReplyDelete