Tuesday, November 10, 2009

For you Aerosmith fans: Dude Looks Like a Lady

Me, still smiling after just having been mistaken for a man.











So I’m standing in line at a crowded diner in New Orleans over the weekend chatting away with my sister, when a little boy who was standing inches in front of us with his family looked intently at me, then turned and matter-of-factly said, “Daddy, he talks like a girl.”

The “he” the child was referring to, was ME!

Granted, I was wearing aviator sunglasses which can be a little on the masculine side, and teeny-tiny earrings and jeans. And to his credit, I do have a really, really short haircut, I’ll give that to the little snot. But if he couldn’t see my new, extra-shiny Luscious lip gloss, and my girls peeking out of the top of the deep V-neck on my t-shirt, and the huge purse on my arm, then he obviously wasn’t nearly as bright as my little Zach, and I really hope his parents weren’t banking on Einstein getting into Harvard.

Appalled at the situation, I immediately called Sweetness to tell him that a kid had just mistaken his sweetheart for a dude. And then went on to say that I was going to grow my hair out.

I didn’t really mean that. I like my hair this short. I feel sexy, confident and alive. But in the spirit of transparency, which is always my aim for Wife.Mom.Cynic., I do sometimes wonder if the essence of feminine beauty is truly found in long flowing locks. Do cascading curls and wispy, wind-blown strands make you prettier and sexier and a little more acceptable?

So when I told Sweetness about the little boy thinking I was a he and said I was going to grow my hair out, I was fishing.

I was looking for a response that went something like this: “No baby, why would you grow your hair? You’re so cute with short hair. Not many people can wear their hair that short and look as hot as you do. Really, only you and Halle Berry are the only women I’ve ever seen that can do that.”

No haps.

In fact, I’ve asked him before if he likes my hair this short and he always gives me some gobbledygook about liking the fact that I’m versatile and can do different looks well.

Translation: I like you as a person, but it would be nice to be able to run my fingers through hair longer than 2 inches.

But the more I think about it, the more I’m pretty sure that after years of searching I’ve finally found my hair niche. I see no good reason to change it. Although, being mistaken for a man by a three-year-old might be good reason.

*sigh*…. I wonder if Halle Berry ever has this problem…

2 comments:

  1. i'm dying...and when did you go to new orleans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i almost forgot my "sweetness" told me this week..."you should cut your hair (that is in fact flowing down my back at this point) cause you got a lil extra weight on you now and it makes you look heavier...", loved it!

    ReplyDelete